Before the Darkspore mutated Scaldron's entire biosphere, four-footed crater mites lived humble lives, attaching themselves to larger creatures and consuming their sloughed-off skin cells. Following transfection, the crater mites became Novas, oversized homunculi with highly unstable metabolisms. When their fight-or-flight reaction is overstimulated, Novas quite literally explode, engulfing any nearby foe in a highly destructive, flammable mucus, so viscous that it's nearly impossible to remove. By fleeing, foes feed more oxygen to the flames. Few creatures of their size inflict as much damage as Novas do.
Their main and only ability is to run towards the nearest Hero and explode violently, covering all nearby Heroes in a flaming mucus that actually increases in duration the more they move around. The burning effect causes very high damage over time. If they appear in large numbers, this can be deadly. If you get hit by them and cannot switch Heroes, standing still or having Meditron's Syndrome Shift or Tork's Sporogenesis is a good way to end the debuff.
A good way to prevent them from coming to you is to use Andromeda's Repulsion Sphere, Gravity Storm or Force Pulse, plus all her variant abilities minus Shooting Star.
- Their name is a reference to Supernovas, gigantic star explosions at the end of a star's life, being a reference to their kamikaze-like explosions.
- Their suicidal nature is extremely similar to that of the Exploder Scarab.
- They have Char's feet.
- Novas resembles Blazers, Minions spawned by Merak.
- Their Burn effect has a unique icon, resembling Krel's Supernova.
- Novas in-game do not have spikes, but their Concept Art did show them with spikes.