Shielded Grenadiers were once search-and-rescue platforms for Crogenitor asteroid mining operations. As mutant Darkspore, they are capable and efficient leaders of strike forces, protecting themselves with nearly impenetrable energy sheaths and annihilating their foes with wave after wave of micro-bombs. Grenadiers are dependable and devastating.
Shielded Grenadiers are hard to approach because they are usually found with other Darkspore, making them a deadly adversary, if you kill all the other Darkspore, Grenadiers become less frightening. If you approach them from the front they will smash their shields into you, forcing you back into the air. A good way to deal with them is to run quickly behind them, they put their shield down to turn around and face you again, try to kill them fast before they smash their shields into your face.
Sage's Strangling Briars is a great ability to use if you encountered a group of Darkspore and some Grenadiers. Put the Briars under the Grenadiers and they will deliver a decent amount of damage while you deal with the remaining Darkspore. Sage, unlike other heroes, can also take out a single Grenadier by using his regular attack, Rejuvenating Blast, even from the front. Zrin's Meteor Strike comes in handy if you spot a Grenadier from afar, the meteor stuns them, giving you some time to kill the other Darkspore.
- They have SRS-42's feet also known as the "Crusher".
- Grenadier's heads are actually a defense part.
- Shielded Grenadiers throw the same grenades used by Robo-Bombers and Seraph-XS.
- In Onslaught, they throw normal grenades. On Invasion, not only do they throw one grenade, but also lob three additional grenades around the original grenade. In Apocalypse, there are six additional grenades instead of three. Such types of grenades are called "cluster grenades".
- If a player get too close to a Grenadier, they would attempt to knock the player backwards by ramming them with their shield. Since the shield is made of energy, damage taken from this attack is classified as energy damage, and dodging/resisting it will also avoid the knockback.